Sunday, November 7, 2010

Design Thinking

I am reading Change By Design by Tim Brown, and it is really making me rethink my role as a designer. Let me tell you about Tim Brown: He's a smart dude. Basically he argues that designers (renamed design thinkers) should be a part of every major move within a company of any size. Further, that all decisions should be made by carefully selected teams who include experts in multiple fields. This sort of thinking is representative of a major shift in our industry and I am trying desperately to get my head around it. I would compair the book more closely to Plato's Republic than other works I am reading about contemporary design practice.

My only complaint is that I can't quite figure out how to do what they do at Ideo. I am not done with the book yet, so I hope that by the end I will have gained a buddha like aura of enlightenment.

Unrelated visual reference:
Halloween in Kent is a sight to behold. Thousands and thousands of people 
flood the streets and that was the biggest afro in town.  (I'm the guy in the 
devil mask and the $10 suit.)

2 comments:

  1. http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/imager/the-louvin-brothers-satan-is-real-lp/b/original/1529593/3ae6/LouvinBrothers.Satan.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope that that is a modern comedy album and not actual music from the past.

    ReplyDelete