Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Surreal Experience

My friend Jason Goupil is heading up a project for N.A.S.A. (National Aeronautics and Space Association to revitalize an interest in space exploration in American youth culture. He is going about this in part by partnering with the electronica-house artists of N.A.S.A. (North America South America). Two weeks ago we went to Columbus to see Sam Speigel of the latter, a.k.a. DJ Squeak E. Clean perform a set at a club called Skully's. It was unlike anything I have ever seen in my life.  Sam was the headliner, but the DJs that went on before him were dressed as Jawas from Star Wars, so all you saw of their faces were laser eyes.

The highlight of the evening was actually hanging out with Sam and learning about the world of dance music that I knew nothing about. For an internationally selling L.A. musician who has scored numerous famous commercials he was a really down to earth guy and I hope I can meet him again some day.

I was fortunate enough to spend the evening in the green room where the talent and the promoters hang out and have drinks between sets. It overlooks the dance floor and stage where the insanity is happening. I managed to take a couple of shots of my friends when they were on stage and I even got a shout-out during the show (Squeak E. Clean demonstrated his familiarity with the south by referring to my home state as "Souf Kackalacky").

My View from the green room. This was as close as I needed to getto the fray.



















Read more about Jason's project on his blog.

1 comment: