Thursday, September 2, 2010

A New Day

I got moved into the studio today and I feel a lot better about everything. I got a chance to talk with some of the other grad students and they were cool and very helpful. I didn't get much work done (by, "much," I mean any), but it felt good to get settled in and now I feel like I have a place to go besides my abysmal dorm room.

 The art building is a labyrinth. There are at least four sets of spiral staircases, maybe more. some classes are conducted behind wooden partitions, some held in open areas under balconies with people walking all around. It's a really energetic atmosphere and it makes me wish I were a teacher. I found one room filled with nothing but letterpresses.

My research class is devoted entirely to developing a thesis. Apparently, having grad students facing this prospect so early is something unique to Kent State. It's my biggest worry at the moment as I thought I would have more time to develop more of a scholarly, rather than a practitioner's, perspective of design.


The Grad Studio (most of it anyway)


My Spot


The Room o' Letterpresses





4 comments:

  1. the studio looks awesome! i'm jealous of the resources you must have at your fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL! Your space looks really great. I second bryce's jealousy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks dope, holmes. When did you pick up the cinema display and the magic trackpad? Your spot looks legit. That's half the battle.

    ReplyDelete